After-Hours Veterinary Care
After-Hours Emergency Care Procedure
VetTriage Video Telehealth
For After Hours Emergency Service we have teamed up with VetTriage to offer video telehealth services! The Vet Triage veterinarians are available 24/7 and for a small fee, will triage your pet on live video to assess if you are facing an emergency that requires an immediate visit to the on-call veterinarian or referral to an Off Island veterinary emergency hospital. If you do not need to come in they will provide home care and monitoring instructions. In the event of an emergency, they will coordinate your visit to the on call veterinarian of the evening or how to proceed Off Island to the veterinary emergency hospitals.
Off Island Veterinary Emergency Specialty Hospitals
For emergency services beyond basic outpatient treatment, the veterinarians of Martha’s Vineyard will usually refer patients to the following veterinary emergency specialty hospitals. Please be aware that these facilities will require a 45 minute ferry trip or chartered Patriot boat trip and 30-90 minute drive once you are on the mainland, depending on which facility.
Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists
11 Bourne Bridge Approach Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
VCA South Shore Veterinary Specialists
595 Columbian St, South Weymouth, MA 02190
Off Island Transportation
- Phone: 508-477-8600, 508-693-9130 (reservations), 508-693-1600 (Vineyard Haven terminal)
- Call first to let them know you have an emergency with your pet and need transportation off the island.
- Daily ferry service from Vineyard Haven and Oak Bluffs to Woods Hole
- If you are not bringing your car, Falmouth Taxi (508-548-3100) has minivans available 24/7 to transport you and your pet from Woods Hole to CCVS in Buzzards Bay or VCA SS in South Weymouth.
- Let them know you have an emergency with your pet when you request the cab.
Patriot Party Boats
- After ferries stop running or if ferries are not running due to inclement weather, transport by passenger ferry can be arranged 24/7 with the Patriot.
- Main Office: 508-548-2626, call first to let them know you have an emergency with your pet and need transportation off the island.
- If no answer, call Captain Jim at 508-566-7802. If not answer, try the alternate Captain at 508-566-7803
- Available 24/7 to Falmouth, rates depend on time of day
- Cars not permitted onboard, arrange for Falmouth Taxi or an Uber to meet the boat in Falmouth.
Has minivans available 24/7 to transport you and your pet from Woods Hole to CCVS in Buzzards Bay (approximately $60 fare).
Let them know you have an emergency with your pet when you request the cab.